There is an underlying theme in this novel regarding discrimination.
1.) How would you feel if you were discriminated against because of your skin colour, culture, religion, social group, or ethnic background? Write a paragraph explaining why you would feel this way. Be sure to include good supporting sentences to back up your opinion.
2.) Give an example of discrimination/persecution from your novel and explain how it made you feel when you read that section of your novel.
Discrimination seems a lot nastier than a passing snide remark. I believe that is because it's a lot more unkind to call someone out for something they can't change, like skin colour or ethnic background. Of course, insulting people over these things speaks volumes about one's ignorance.
ReplyDeleteDiscrimination plays a large role in this novel. Socs are displayed as uncaring upper class snobs who beat up those they think beneath them, like the greasers. On the other hand, greasers don't make an effort to understand that the Socs also have problems of their own. As Ponyboy's friend Cherry observes, "things are rough all over".
FIRST!!!
When I think of discrimination I thhink of racism and unkind names. Calling people these awful names can really hurt them, it also shows what kind of character you are. Discriminationvis a big part in the story the outsiders, Because the kids are classified into two groups the Socs nad the Greasers. They both have different perpesctives. For example the Socs think that the Greasers are Stutpid good for nothing gang who put way to much grease in their hairs. And the Greasers think that the Socs are rich snoggy gang who have to much money ad beat up/kill pepole for a living. What they dont understand that their all people with equal rights. This is only one example but their are many more!
ReplyDeleteSECOND tHE BEST!!!! :)
When I think of discrimination I think of racial slurs and bad jokes about other people of ethnic backgrounds or religons. Discriminaton plays a giant part in this novel because since the main charcters in the book are classified as Socs or Greasers. I think that both groups are responsible for some discrimination, for example the Socsthink that since they have more money or they have better lifestyles that they are better then everyone else. But the greasers think that they have it the worst and they are getting judged to much but honestly most of the greasers are just as bad as the socs most of the time....
ReplyDeleteDiscrimination does a lot of damage to people. It cam make people depressed, hurt, and sometimes suicidal. It can make even the most peaceful persom want to go beat someone up and really serious cases might even start wars (not good). The Outsiders is mainly based on discrimination. You might think that because the Greasers are the main characters, they don't discriminate but they do! Everyone knows that the Socs discriminate because they are rich, but if you think about it, the Greasers are too! They think that all Socs are Bad but Cherri isn't. Plus, the only reason Bobby (I don't have the book so I am pretty sure that's his name) was bad, was because his parents spoiled him and were O.K. with everything so Bobby wanted to do something bad and get in trouble for once! I am not saying that going around killing people is good, just try to think of both sides of the story!
ReplyDelete@Luna- Great responce! You had a few spelliong errors but I like the part about the perspectives!
ReplyDelete@Charles - An interesting and correct piece of writing Charles. It seems you hit the mark with those few words, explaining and giving examples too.
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of the word discrimination, I think of how it was back in the 40’s to 70s’, when people were still very racist , and when they still had separate communities, schools, etc.. Now if I were discriminated against because of my skin, social group, or ethnic background, I would be very emotionally hurt, and would become depressed and some might even become suicidal if it went on for an extended period of time. I would say that racism is the worst because, physically, there is no difference other that our skin colours.
ReplyDeleteIn The Outsiders, discrimination creates the scene for the story. As I see it, Hinton used a classic setup of groups. One of them is the rich, Socs, who apparently have everything going for them and have fun by jumping Greasers, at least from a Greaser’s perspective. Then there are the Greasers. They are, to Socs, the low class people, who have little money to spare, are all hoods, and are worse than them just because they don’t have as much money as them and live on the ‘other side of town.’
Nnnnnnooooooooo my post are disappeared. cannot even use the good grammar no moar.
ReplyDeleteI would feel bad if discriminated against, because things like skin colour and ethnic background are things you can't change. Your ethnic background is really something you should be proud of.
ReplyDeleteIn this book, the discrimination happened between the relatively well off Socs and the low income greasers. The Socs had more money, so they assumed they were better and went around beating up greasers left and right. Thus, the greasers all thought of them as souless, and it even came out in their fighting. However, the greasers didn't recognize that even Socs had their own problems as well. As Ponyboy's friend Cherry, said, "Things are rough all over."
MY POST IS GONE!! THE ONLY ONE LEFT IS CHARLE'S!! I GOT TO REWRITE IT ALL OVER AGAIN!! AND I DIDN'T SAVE EITHER!! :(
ReplyDelete@Charles - I think you have a few grammatical errors in your first post my friend. Don't know if you noticed them.
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of the word discrimination, I think of mainly racism, as it is the most prominent one. Racism specifically, is horrible as you are treated unfairly because of something that is out of your control to choose or change, and that there is no difference functionally, only what you look like which, sadly, is one of the most important things in society.
ReplyDeleteIn The Outsiders, discrimination is what the story is about, as it sets the conditions for all of the events to unfold. In the book, then two sides, the Greasers and the Socs, hate each other, and are always raging battle against each other. The Socs believe the Greasers are beneath them because they are generally wealthy, live in good homes, wear good clothes, etc., while the Greasers are poor and are all hoods and JDs. And all of this not knowing that some of the Greasers are normal people. Then the Greasers think that all Socs are rich and lead carefree lives where nothing bad happens to them and are always jumping Greasers. They in turn don’t think about how Socs have problems too, like not all of them are rich, and not all of them like to jump Greasers.
In the end, perhaps Charles’s idea of sitting in a circle and talking about their feelings might not have been too bad of an idea for them. :)
IT DELETED MY POST TOO!!! I SPENT SO LONG ON IT!!!
ReplyDeleteI think that discrimination played a large part of this story. The Socs against the Greasers with the Socs always trying to jump the Greasers for their own pleasure. I also kind of think that the Socs are kind of misunderstood too. For example, Bob was just a spoiled rich kid whose parents never got mad at him. Bob didn't like this and did bad things so his parents would notice him.
ReplyDeleteDiscrimination often leads to persecution and racism. Yuor culture is nothing to be ashamed of so to be dicriminated against it is just horrible.
@Leonard- You have a lot of detail and perfect grammer! Great job!
ReplyDelete@Peeta - Good writing, plenty of details, and I only found 1 mistake. Though I don't remember exactly what you wrote, it seems like the second version is shorter, and more compact. This goes for you too Charles.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - Discrimination occurs on a daily basis everyone around the world. The majority of us try to avoid 'DISCRIMINATION' in all forms, but the fact of the matter is, it still exists in society. You (students) are the ones that can advocate for change. If you see someone being discriminated against, stand up for them if they are unable to support themselves. Although the discrimination from the novel had to do with different social groups, it occurs on a much higher level around the world. Wars have been fought over religious and ethnic differences.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - I would be very interested to hear your comments on my above comment.
IT'S NOT THERE!!!!!! WHERE DID IT GO I SPENT SOOOOOO MUCH TIME ON THAT BAAAAAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteethan noo why? he wasP$TR standing beside me reading takFhe post then he took theJF mouse sad h would publish it fatjfor me and he deleted it"PFW =[
ReplyDeleteHE STILL HERAF aF W4GFTW
HAODIGHERTYUERTU 3OIP4UTIOPERHGRUY9834UTRQ Qpiog jjgreiteruoiy
ReplyDeleteSorry, raged all over my keyboard when I saw all the missing posts.