One specific aspect of culture that I see in this book is the fact that the whole book is focused on two groups and how they dont understand that their both humans. The two groups are the Socs which stands for Socials, they are rich and snobby at least thats what the greasers think. The other gang is the Greasers. this is the only culture I can think of in the outsiders. I can relate to this in a way which I am not really sure is a culture. I think of how in some countries the Black skinned people are seperated from the White skinned people, I find this racist. The whites think of the blacks differently and same goes for the blacks (I'm not trying to be steryotypical) but this only happens in some countries. Tis is the only I can relate to. If this is wrong please feel free to correct me classmates and mr hong!
The whole theme of The Outsiders sort of evokes images of dirty bars and rundown suburbs. Thus, the sort of atmosphere seems to be in a forgotten section of suburban sprawl, full of dilapidated, smelly buildings. It sort of reminds me of noir film (I believe that is what films with that type of lighting is called) or perhaps the hard-boiled detective genre because it is so gritty. It reminds me a lot of the game inFAMOUS for having a sort of dirty, rundown city controlled by gangs. Another aspect of the novel that reminds me of inFAMOUS is that inFAMOUS is an open-world game, so that your character has a lot of freedom of movement, like the greasers and Socs in the novel. To me, The Outsiders' sort of environment is like all the detective movies ever made in black and white squished together to create a sort of old-timey feel that you could still relate to, so I suppose it reminds me of the period in western culture where we were all obsessed with detective movies so long as a.)There was violence; b.)There was at least 1 huge gun, and c.)The movie was completely filled with cheesy one-liners.
There really wasn't any culture as in religion in this book (unless you count a burning church) but the general theme of the book was filled with bars and gangsters- the sort of place you would find lots of crimes to happen. This almost directly connects to CSI and forensic investigation. For example, when Johnny killed Bob, the place was probably filled with cops, the FBI, and forensic scientists that were examining the blood, checking for fingerprints, and nosing around for evidence later on. In fact, I bet that the whole book would have been a great story for an episode of CSI (Crime Scene Investigation)!
I agree with Peeta in the fact that there wasn’t really any culture in the religion sense, but overall, the theme of the book was really about the gang wars in the 1960’s. In these kinds of books, there are always two gangs or sides, in this case the Greaser hoods and the rich snobby Socs. Then there is generally a major event to set the two against each other, namely the murdering of Bob. Then there is always a big fight with a lot of value, in this case the rumble at the end where if the Greasers won, the Socs would stay out of their territory forever.
@ Everyone - Culture does not necessarily indicate religion, skin colour, or language. Think of the culture in terms of living in a social group that only knows one type of life. The 'Socs' were accustomed to a life for of privileges that the 'Greasers' were clearly not given. Google the word 'Socio-economic status' (SES) and this may actually give you more ideas that you will be able to expand on.
In this book there are to social classes. The "Greasers" the people who put too much hair grease in their hair, and the people who don't have everything handed to them on a gold with ruby encrusted center platter. Now I'm not saying that they are not as good as any other class of people but I mean really the whole book dwells on the "Socs" hating on the "Greaser" and vice versa. Now the other class of people as I mentioned before there are people named the "Socs" Most Socs are quite mean and what some people would say snobbish. But not all of them are like that for example Cherry Valance from the drive in. Bob and Randy are apart of a gang in the Socs social group, they are very mean and Bob tried to drown Ponyboy until Johnny stabbed him. In the end Randy turns up being quite a nice boy who was just hanging around with the wrong people. But both groups have their own faults like both go looking for a rumble and both don't mind seriously hurting one another. Now I think the Socs just have a bad reputation, if the greasers gave some of the socs a chance I be they would find out that most were really just regular people with equally tough lives
@Hanna- Nice detail! I like how you mentioned both sides of the story and your transitions. You have a coule of punctuation errors, but other than that, great.
There were two very different cultures in this book ,The soc culture and the Greaser culture. the two cultures are completely different like oil an water. the only similarity is that water and oil are both liquid and socs and greasers are both human.The Greasers are almost all poor and the always try to keep there hair greased down.The socs are fairly rich and would never care to even put a bit of bacon fat in there hair.The socs are also very popular at school and at home but Greasers will only talk to themselves let alone another group of greasers.As you can see these groups do not mix at all!
One specific aspect of culture that I see in this book is the fact that the whole book is focused on two groups and how they dont understand that their both humans. The two groups are the Socs which stands for Socials, they are rich and snobby at least thats what the greasers think. The other gang is the Greasers. this is the only culture I can think of in the outsiders. I can relate to this in a way which I am not really sure is a culture. I think of how in some countries the Black skinned people are seperated from the White skinned people, I find this racist. The whites think of the blacks differently and same goes for the blacks (I'm not trying to be steryotypical) but this only happens in some countries. Tis is the only I can relate to. If this is wrong please feel free to correct me classmates and mr hong!
ReplyDeleteFIRST!!!!
The whole theme of The Outsiders sort of evokes images of dirty bars and rundown suburbs. Thus, the sort of atmosphere seems to be in a forgotten section of suburban sprawl, full of dilapidated, smelly buildings. It sort of reminds me of noir film (I believe that is what films with that type of lighting is called) or perhaps the hard-boiled detective genre because it is so gritty. It reminds me a lot of the game inFAMOUS for having a sort of dirty, rundown city controlled by gangs. Another aspect of the novel that reminds me of inFAMOUS is that inFAMOUS is an open-world game, so that your character has a lot of freedom of movement, like the greasers and Socs in the novel.
ReplyDeleteTo me, The Outsiders' sort of environment is like all the detective movies ever made in black and white squished together to create a sort of old-timey feel that you could still relate to, so I suppose it reminds me of the period in western culture where we were all obsessed with detective movies so long as
a.)There was violence;
b.)There was at least 1 huge gun, and
c.)The movie was completely filled with cheesy one-liners.
@luna - Oh noes I has no first!!1
ReplyDeleteBut on a serious note, you might want to check for some rather minor grammar and spelling mistakes.
There really wasn't any culture as in religion in this book (unless you count a burning church) but the general theme of the book was filled with bars and gangsters- the sort of place you would find lots of crimes to happen. This almost directly connects to CSI and forensic investigation. For example, when Johnny killed Bob, the place was probably filled with cops, the FBI, and forensic scientists that were examining the blood, checking for fingerprints, and nosing around for evidence later on. In fact, I bet that the whole book would have been a great story for an episode of CSI (Crime Scene Investigation)!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Peeta in the fact that there wasn’t really any culture in the religion sense, but overall, the theme of the book was really about the gang wars in the 1960’s. In these kinds of books, there are always two gangs or sides, in this case the Greaser hoods and the rich snobby Socs. Then there is generally a major event to set the two against each other, namely the murdering of Bob. Then there is always a big fight with a lot of value, in this case the rumble at the end where if the Greasers won, the Socs would stay out of their territory forever.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - Culture does not necessarily indicate religion, skin colour, or language. Think of the culture in terms of living in a social group that only knows one type of life. The 'Socs' were accustomed to a life for of privileges that the 'Greasers' were clearly not given. Google the word 'Socio-economic status' (SES) and this may actually give you more ideas that you will be able to expand on.
ReplyDelete@charles- your post was awesome. I only have one question for you is inFAMOUS a vedio game you play??
ReplyDeleteIn this book there are to social classes. The "Greasers" the people who put too much hair grease in their hair, and the people who don't have everything handed to them on a gold with ruby encrusted center platter. Now I'm not saying that they are not as good as any other class of people but I mean really the whole book dwells on the "Socs" hating on the "Greaser" and vice versa. Now the other class of people as I mentioned before there are people named the "Socs" Most Socs are quite mean and what some people would say snobbish. But not all of them are like that for example Cherry Valance from the drive in. Bob and Randy are apart of a gang in the Socs social group, they are very mean and Bob tried to drown Ponyboy until Johnny stabbed him. In the end Randy turns up being quite a nice boy who was just hanging around with the wrong people. But both groups have their own faults like both go looking for a rumble and both don't mind seriously hurting one another. Now I think the Socs just have a bad reputation, if the greasers gave some of the socs a chance I be they would find out that most were really just regular people with equally tough lives
ReplyDelete@Hanna- Nice detail! I like how you mentioned both sides of the story and your transitions. You have a coule of punctuation errors, but other than that, great.
ReplyDeleteThere were two very different cultures in this book ,The soc culture and the Greaser culture. the two cultures are completely different like oil an water. the only similarity is that water and oil are both liquid and socs and greasers are both human.The Greasers are almost all poor and the always try to keep there hair greased down.The socs are fairly rich and would never care to even put a bit of bacon fat in there hair.The socs are also very popular at school and at home but Greasers will only talk to themselves let alone another group of greasers.As you can see these groups do not mix at all!
ReplyDeleteKatniss E.
@Peeta- thank you....:):);)
ReplyDelete@luna - No, but I've played the demo for inFAMOUS.
ReplyDelete