Sunday, 8 May 2011

Assignment #3 - opinion

1.) What do you think of your new novel?  Give an honest opinion of what you like and what you dislike about the story.  

REQUIREMENTS OF THIS ASSIGNMENT: 

         a.) You must have a minimum of 5 sentences ( I know most of you will have more)
         b.) Support/back up your reasons with examples from the story.
         c.) Use transition words (Example: However, also, in addition to, additionally, For example, To    
              illustrate, etc..)

12 comments:

  1. For me, The Outsiders was a great read, because of the amount of detail S.E. Hinton put in it and her general style of writhing. With many books I’ve read, they normally have things about them that ruin the rest of the story, like putting too many details, have too little details, have a very predictable storyline, or having a story way too complicated. But I found none of these faults in The Outsiders. Hinton wrote a story that has a good storyline that has good developments that aren’t too hard to follow, like Johnny dying not suddenly, but over a long period of time. Also, she wrote it so it fit how the characters are, like how Dally was all rushed to see Johnny, shown when Hinton says Ponyboy almost fell when Dally let go suddenly when the cops left. In the end, this is one book that I thank Hillcrest Blog very much for getting me to read, as I would never have read this book on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite enjoyed this book for many reasons. Firstly it had loads of adventure and packed exiting things into a partially normal kid like Ponyboy. I usually enjoy books with subjects that will normaly never occur in the ordinary lifespan of a human and also books with a certain amount of emotional depth such as the Hunger Games, so naturaly, the part where Johnny dies was quite melancholy for me. I also think that the story line itself made Ponyboy, Johnny and somewhat Dally seem like heros at the church. This added to the greatness of the story. I believe that at 16, S.E. Hinton wrote a great book and this is definitely one of the best novel study books I have read in the past 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My opinion on the book "the outsiders" by S.E Hinton is half and half. I liked it because it was very exciting, active and sort of funny at the same time. For example it had a lot of fighting but that is what gave the book its kick. Also the names the author gave for the characters cracked me up and they were a bit out of ordinary! Furthermore there is the fact that the story in this book never went downhill or got boring, it was always filled with action and kept the reader reading! Also I liked the fact that it was packed with detail! Enough with waht I like let me explain about what I don't like: I didn't like only like one or two things. For example I not really into Fighting, blood and gorry things. One more fact that I didn't like is that it wasn't very fantasy and was mostly based on one setting, the place ponyboy lived in! Those facts are th only downside to this story. I'm glad Mr Hong gave me this book I really enjoyed reading it. S.E Hinton is an amazing writer and I hope to read more of his books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Luna - Great work using your transitions!

    @ Leonard Straik - I think that every single student in our class has been very motivated over the past 3 or so weeks. I can honestly say that every student is working very hard.

    @ Peeta Mellark - I'm really happy to hear that you think this is one of the best novels that you have read in the last two years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that the Outsiders was full of emotion, and was very thought-provoking. It was a testament to the strength of the human spirit and I thought it was truly a work of art. It was very inspiring, but also very gritty and dark. I throughly enjoyed this novel. I liked that the fights weren't the most important part of the novel. Instead, they were sort of a twisted looking glass into the souls of the combatants. As Ponyboy noticed, the Socs were sort of detached and cold, even when they were fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my opinion The Outsiders is a fantastic! There were so many reasons why I loved this book but I'll only tell you about a couple. Firstly I loved this book because it was action packed! There was a fight here, then they were going to save children from a burning church there! I usually like to read books with lots of action because if there isn't a alot of activity the book is a snooze fest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book was one of my favorite books to read especially when I as not reading the beginning. I do not know why but for some reason the beginning of almost all the books I read start off with a big old boring slow ... Start. When I see books that have beginnings like this I think awe man not another but in the end most of them end up being very good. Then once I have finished the great book (if it was great) I re-write the beginning in my head, look back, then I decide which one was better, mine or the books beginning. Most of the time mine is better which I can understand since the authors probably want a slow beginning and a dramatic ending for there books (and I am a good writer).

    Anyways I thought that the outsiders was a very good book and I loved it although it might not be a book that every one likes. For e.g.
    @katniss- this book was horrible and gory why would you like it.
    or
    @katniss this book was pretty good but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

    Katniss E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My second reason for loving this book is that the characters have there own distinct personality so you could always tell them apart. for example Darry is the protective older brother taking on the father figure role and trying to provide for Sodapop and Ponyboy.(More Ponyboy then Sodapop.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Luna - S.E. Hinton is female... She used her initials so that male reviewers wouldn't completely pass by her novel, like J.K. Rowling did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Hanna- Nice use of transitions. Maybe next time add a bit more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Hanna - Good points and well written paragraph, but you really need to check for punctuation and grammar mistakes. You should do what I do, write it in Word so it catches your mistakes and then copy and paste it here.

    ReplyDelete