If you could make a connection between one of the main characters and yourself, who would it be and why? Explain using specific examples from the book that relate to your personal experiences.
"sorry but i don't have a very specific idea of all the characters so I'm just going to say ponyboy because he likes school, reading and drawing and that's all the things i love as well. I guess i do have idea of him and he is almost exactly like me! Hooray i have found my long lost twin.. PONYBOY!
well to start of he said he has one really nice brother and one that will never agree with him and hates his guts. I have brothers like that as well except that me and my brothers still love each other. The story also tells that ponyboy is part of a group of greasers that are all friends. I am in a group of people that also want to kill each other all the time... were the cast of "THE HUNGER GAMES". See we both have many things in common, Thats cool." Katniss E.
You know, Katniss, you might get some other people into not doing it. Do you want other people's failures to be on your head? Really? Anyhoo, Ponyboy is the character I connect with because he is a dreamer and, like me, wants to get what he deserves without his upbringing burdening him. He explicitly mentions this. While I don't really have anything that would burden me, I still do want to succeed. I also connect because he is a reader. Like him, it kind of irks me when I notice pretty much nobody in our age group reads. I also have the bad habit of memorizing long stretches of dialogue and reciting them. However, they often do not have as much meaning as Robert Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay", which Ponyboy recites in the barn. I sometimes also feel like things are happening to fast, like Ponyboy does when Johnny accidentally kills Bob. However, nothing in my personal experience actually compares to that, thankfully.
I guess that if I had to connect to one of the characrters, it would be Darry. I can connect to him becaus he is the oldest sibling and so am I. He cares about his siblings and tries very hard to take care of them and make sure they don't get into trouble. I also take care of my sister and I yell at her a lot because she does all of the things little siblings have to do to be happy. But she is also very cute so I can't stay mad at her very long at all! Darry was also really good at school before he dropped out. I guess I am also fairly good at school and think it is kind of fun!
@Peeta - Seems I'm running into the same problem too. My mother's going to evict me one of these days... @Everyone - Is it just me or are posts disappearing? Like what happened to Katniss's first post? Oh well, my mental health might just be deteriorating faster than I thought.
@ Charles Wallace Murry - We will review proper blogging etiquette tomorrow in class and we will also go over how to show different emotions with emoticons.
If I had to choose any one of the main characters from the book "The Outsiders" that I could make a connection to, it would be Cherry. Because first of all we are both girls and she is smart kind and funny. I connect to her because she is a person who is willing to cheer others up when they are down and I tend to do that too! Cherry is different than her friend Marcia who is outgoing, doesnt like to think things through and is sort of careless and is not interested in being friends with the Greasers. Whereas Cherry is the complete opposite she doesn't care what group her friends are from and likes to think before doing any thing stupid! I am the total opposite from my friends just like Cherry. These are all the reasons I feel that I am like Cherry!!!!:)
This is a Text to Self connection because I explained about how Cherry and I are alike!
T:W= The Outsiders is about a "gangs" as well as anything else right? So from what I have read there is a rivalry between the Socs and the Greasers so therefor this reminds meof all the different gangs all over the world but they aren't like Ponyboy or Johnny they are violent and mean like most of the Socs (that's right I'm not saying all Socs arelike that) some examples of Socs that are mean are Bob and his crew with the blue mustang that patrol the gresers territiory looking for one of them to jump like they did to Johnny.
@Luna- You click on the orange thing beside your name. It will come up to your profile page. On the left side, it will say "edit profile". You click that and scroll down to the part where it says "photograph" and under it "photograph URL". Then you just put in the image website ang click "save". It should work!
@ Katniss Everdeen - Good idea, but I think for now I will post the assignments separately. I suspect that if I posted all of the different assignments at once, people would not respond as much and you probably would not have the ongoing dialogue between your peers.
@Katniss - Not I, because if my mom saw that she'd get me to do it all a once.
But as a side note, I just realized how unresponsive this little box for posts really is, because sometimes when I'm typing, it won't pick it up, and then I go on typing, only to realize after that I missed some letters and can't remember what I wrote, and then have to rewrite a large portion of the text. In fact, if it weren't for my sister sitting beside me, (Even though she was suppose to have gone to bed an hour ago) I would have missed so many words and would have had to rewrite alot of this again.
@ EVERYONE - If you are experiencing technical difficulties, you may want to type your responses out in Microsoft Word, edit/revise/proofread, and then copy and paste it into the comment box. This would ensure that you do not lose your information and you will not have to rewrite your response. I know a few students have experienced this unfortunate problem. One student typed a response that took her over an hour to complete and when she posted it, it never actually posted. :(
T – T – In S.E. Hinton’s book “The Outsiders”, I can connect Johnny to another person in a story. Johnny is described as the boy who went through a traumatic experience in his life, and now he is known as the timid, frightened kid that is just around, but never doing anything, or even talking, until the point at which he kills Bob and saves the kids from the burning church. He reminds me of a person from a book I read, where it is, coincidently, also in the past, during the time when gangs existed, though there isn’t a definite date. Anyhow, in this book, there are two gangs that always fought it out across the city, and with weapons too, mostly with knives and clubs, but some had small pistols and were always attacking each other. In this book, they always aim to seriously harm someone, but never kill as that would attract the police. In this book, there is a low ranking person on one side that is like Johnny, he was attacked when he was a kid, and the assailants killed his parents, leading him to join the gangs for revenge, though he was very timid and scared and never had many interactions with the gang members. Then one day, when he was jumped, he ended up killing a guy, but was also killed in the fight because after, several others came and killed him for it. I connected these two because they both were traumatized in their childhood, both killed someone, and both die in the end.
Good Gravy! Looks like there's no homework today. I'll just leave this comment to tell y'all that I've waited maybe 3 hours, so... you know, you can't really blame me.
"sorry but i don't have a very specific idea of all the characters so I'm just going to say ponyboy because he likes school, reading and drawing and that's all the things i love as well. I guess i do have idea of him and he is almost exactly like me! Hooray i have found my long lost twin.. PONYBOY!
ReplyDeletewell to start of he said he has one really nice brother and one that will never agree with him and hates his guts. I have brothers like that as well except that me and my brothers still love each other. The story also tells that ponyboy is part of a group of greasers that are all friends. I am in a group of people that also want to kill each other all the time... were the cast of "THE HUNGER GAMES". See we both have many things in common, Thats cool."
Katniss E.
You know, Katniss, you might get some other people into not doing it. Do you want other people's failures to be on your head? Really?
ReplyDeleteAnyhoo, Ponyboy is the character I connect with because he is a dreamer and, like me, wants to get what he deserves without his upbringing burdening him. He explicitly mentions this. While I don't really have anything that would burden me, I still do want to succeed. I also connect because he is a reader. Like him, it kind of irks me when I notice pretty much nobody in our age group reads. I also have the bad habit of memorizing long stretches of dialogue and reciting them. However, they often do not have as much meaning as Robert Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay", which Ponyboy recites in the barn. I sometimes also feel like things are happening to fast, like Ponyboy does when Johnny accidentally kills Bob. However, nothing in my personal experience actually compares to that, thankfully.
I guess that if I had to connect to one of the characrters, it would be Darry. I can connect to him becaus he is the oldest sibling and so am I. He cares about his siblings and tries very hard to take care of them and make sure they don't get into trouble. I also take care of my sister and I yell at her a lot because she does all of the things little siblings have to do to be happy. But she is also very cute so I can't stay mad at her very long at all! Darry was also really good at school before he dropped out. I guess I am also fairly good at school and think it is kind of fun!
ReplyDelete@Charles- Ouch! I read! Quite a lot because my mom yells at me a lot to stop reading.
ReplyDelete@Peeta - Seems I'm running into the same problem too. My mother's going to evict me one of these days...
ReplyDelete@Everyone - Is it just me or are posts disappearing? Like what happened to Katniss's first post? Oh well, my mental health might just be deteriorating faster than I thought.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - Stay focussed on the assignment please. This almost sounds like we're in class! ;)
ReplyDelete@ Charles Wallace Murry - We will review proper blogging etiquette tomorrow in class and we will also go over how to show different emotions with emoticons.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - Please indicate, although it is obvious, the type of connection you are making. (T-T, T-S, T-W)
ReplyDelete@Katniss- Nice try though.
ReplyDelete@Hillcrest Blog- My connection is Text to Self because I am talking about my sister.
ReplyDeleteIf I had to choose any one of the main characters from the book "The Outsiders" that I could make a connection to, it would be Cherry. Because first of all we are both girls and she is smart kind and funny. I connect to her because she is a person who is willing to cheer others up when they are down and I tend to do that too! Cherry is different than her friend Marcia who is outgoing, doesnt like to think things through and is sort of careless and is not interested in being friends with the Greasers. Whereas Cherry is the complete opposite she doesn't care what group her friends are from and likes to think before doing any thing stupid! I am the total opposite from my friends just like Cherry. These are all the reasons I feel that I am like Cherry!!!!:)
ReplyDeleteThis is a Text to Self connection because I explained about how Cherry and I are alike!
@KAtniss- this may be a bit of topic but nice try on your picture but I dont get the part where it is supposed to look like a hand holding cards!!
ReplyDeleteT:W= The Outsiders is about a "gangs" as well as anything else right? So from what I have read there is a rivalry between the Socs and the Greasers so therefor this reminds meof all the different gangs all over the world but they aren't like Ponyboy or Johnny they are violent and mean like most of the Socs (that's right I'm not saying all Socs arelike that) some examples of Socs that are mean are Bob and his crew with the blue mustang that patrol the gresers territiory looking for one of them to jump like they did to Johnny.
ReplyDelete@Hanna- Need to click preview ahhhhhhhhhhh i see i have not spaced some of my words
ReplyDelete@Charles/Hillcrest Blog-What does emoticons mean??? <:|
ReplyDelete@Hillcrest Blog/Everyone-how do you add your profile picture beside your comment? I cant seem to figure it out! Please help me!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete@Luna- You click on the orange thing beside your name. It will come up to your profile page. On the left side, it will say "edit profile". You click that and scroll down to the part where it says "photograph" and under it "photograph URL". Then you just put in the image website ang click "save". It should work!
ReplyDelete@Peeta-Thanks!!!!
ReplyDelete"It would Be AwEsOmE if hillcrest blog could just post all the assignments at once because than we could just work on them whenever we felt like it!"
ReplyDeletewho agrees?
Katniss E.
@ Katniss Everdeen - Good idea, but I think for now I will post the assignments separately. I suspect that if I posted all of the different assignments at once, people would not respond as much and you probably would not have the ongoing dialogue between your peers.
ReplyDelete@Katniss - Not I, because if my mom saw that she'd get me to do it all a once.
ReplyDeleteBut as a side note, I just realized how unresponsive this little box for posts really is, because sometimes when I'm typing, it won't pick it up, and then I go on typing, only to realize after that I missed some letters and can't remember what I wrote, and then have to rewrite a large portion of the text. In fact, if it weren't for my sister sitting beside me, (Even though she was suppose to have gone to bed an hour ago) I would have missed so many words and would have had to rewrite alot of this again.
@Katniss - I have to ask, why did you spend hours making a drawing of a hand, and then remove it? Was it to prove your point that you like drawing?
ReplyDelete@ EVERYONE - If you are experiencing technical difficulties, you may want to type your responses out in Microsoft Word, edit/revise/proofread, and then copy and paste it into the comment box. This would ensure that you do not lose your information and you will not have to rewrite your response. I know a few students have experienced this unfortunate problem. One student typed a response that took her over an hour to complete and when she posted it, it never actually posted. :(
ReplyDeleteT – T – In S.E. Hinton’s book “The Outsiders”, I can connect Johnny to another person in a story. Johnny is described as the boy who went through a traumatic experience in his life, and now he is known as the timid, frightened kid that is just around, but never doing anything, or even talking, until the point at which he kills Bob and saves the kids from the burning church. He reminds me of a person from a book I read, where it is, coincidently, also in the past, during the time when gangs existed, though there isn’t a definite date. Anyhow, in this book, there are two gangs that always fought it out across the city, and with weapons too, mostly with knives and clubs, but some had small pistols and were always attacking each other. In this book, they always aim to seriously harm someone, but never kill as that would attract the police. In this book, there is a low ranking person on one side that is like Johnny, he was attacked when he was a kid, and the assailants killed his parents, leading him to join the gangs for revenge, though he was very timid and scared and never had many interactions with the gang members. Then one day, when he was jumped, he ended up killing a guy, but was also killed in the fight because after, several others came and killed him for it. I connected these two because they both were traumatized in their childhood, both killed someone, and both die in the end.
ReplyDeleteGood Gravy! Looks like there's no homework today. I'll just leave this comment to tell y'all that I've waited maybe 3 hours, so... you know, you can't really blame me.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - Simply edit/revise/proofread. Make sure you have read all of the comments in this blog.
ReplyDelete