Monday, 2 May 2011

Assignment #1

1.) Write a prediction about what you think your novel will be about.  Include enough information in your response to describe the 5 W's (Where, what, when, why , who, and also how).  Double check what you have written to make sure you have included everything that is required.  Be as creative as you would like to be with your prediction.  Remember, it does not matter if your prediction isn't actually what the novel is about.  The idea of writing a prediction is to get your ideas flowing!  The minimum number of sentences for this assignment is 6.  Don't forget, you must write in full and complete sentences! :)  Have fun!

2.) Respond to at least one response.

31 comments:

  1. I believe that the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton will be about a boy named Ponyboy who has a large extended family but no parents. He is in a gang of "Greasers" who are being picked on by an elitist gang called the "Socs", who are much better off. One day, however, something "goes too far", leading me to think that perhaps one of Ponyboy's brothers is seriously wounded or killed. This causes him to go on a rampage and beat up Socs left and right as a vigilante only known as the Outsider.
    I think this because of the back of the book. It says that Ponyboy can count on his brothers, leading me to believe that he has either abusive or deceased parents. Also, most living parents wouldn't let their children join a gang. I think he has a large family because it says brothers rather than brother. I have explained already why I think he goes on a rampage as The Outsider. I think the name "The Outsider" is correct because the book is called The Outsiders.
    First again? But I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that this book will be about a boy mabie 14-15 years old named Ponyboy. Ponyboy lives on the East side and by the way they describe it in the book it makes it seem that most people on the East side are what they call "Greasers" and on the West side are the "Socs" a vicsious gang that gets pleasure out of beating up the greasers. But then one night "things go too far." That leads me to think that one of Ponyboy's friends dies.:( also I think that mabie his father has died because he seems to relie on his brothers and male friends to not exactly protect but keep him safe and they are somewhat role models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Charles- What does digress and elitist mean?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have already finished this book, I will say that before I read this book, I thought that the Outsiders will be about boy named Ponyboy ( at first I thought, “What! Ponyboy?” But it is his real name). His family is poor and lives on “the wrong side of town”. Ponyboy’s parents are always drunk and his brothers have to take care of him. Because of this bad influence, he joins a gang called the “Greasers”. The rich kids on the “good” side of town are in a group called the “Socs”. The two gangs always fight and one day, Ponyboy accidentally kills a Soc. Obviously, this leads to trouble and a lawsuit. I thought this book would be really interesting and it was. I really liked this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Hanna- I know "elitist" means special or a rich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Hanna and Charles Wallace Murry - You should write your predictions from your perspective prior to starting the novel. I assume that if you included the words 'SOCS' and 'GREASERS' in your predictions, that you have already started your second novel.

    @ Peeta Mellark - Was that really what you thought the novel was going to be about? It's almost exactly what the story is about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe this book will be about a guy named Ponyboy, who is 16, and is an orphan living with foster parents back in the 1970’s. I think that they live on the “wrong side of town,” and that Ponyboy may be in a gang, called the Greasers. In this book, I think that the Greasers and the gang from the other side of town, the “good side of town,” are constantly at war, fighting each other in random fights and in organized ones. Judging from the back cover, I think that at some point, somebody ends up killing someone, and this leads to the police getting involved and landing everyone who didn’t get away in jail, including Ponyboy. After this, I think that Ponyboy will realize what a dangerous life he’s in and leave the gangs. In the end, I think that after Ponyboy leaves the gangsta life, he’ll get into a school, study hard, and grow up to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Hanna - digress means to stop talking about the main story, point, main arguement...etc

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Charles – I think you gave many great points as to why you thought the story would be your way. You used all the details from the back of the book, and, when there weren’t any, you came up with a plausible idea as to what would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Leonard Straik - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "ya srry for that comment from klopso, he is my other account!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I believe that this story "The Outsiders" will be very good.
    WITH YOUR COMMENTS- from reading your guys comments on this post i believe this story is going to be about gang, gangsters and greasers.Now I know that sounds like a awesome story and it's probably correct, but for some weird reason I thought this...
    WITHOUT YOUR COMMENTS- What I really thought this story was about was that it was about a couple of guys from out of town. These guys come to visit town and get beat up badly by a group of thugs (front cover). After they get beat up they then beat up those thugs and take those thugs life. The story keeps on going like the circle of life till one group stands up to the thugs. Then in the end that group that stood up to the thugs ends up peace keepers and the leader becomes the mayor of the town.


    I know it sound really fake and lame but that's what i thought this story would be about.. I WAS WRONG"

    ReplyDelete
  14. @CHARLES- "I love your prediction, it was almost 100% correct though and that is what tells me that this is not what you originally thought."
    B+

    "think harder about what you really thought it was about next time."

    !Good Luck!
    Katniss E.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it makes someone (or me) look pretty bad if that someone posts more than 2 comments in a row. Do you agree with my thought?

    ReSpOnD QuIcK
    Katniss E.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I predict that the book "The Outsiders" will be about a gangster boy 16 years old named ponyboy (Ponyboy what a funny name) who lives on the East side of town. In their city the East is where all the Greasers lve like ponyboy, and the West is where all the Socs (social gang) live. The Socs are flithy rich and their enjoyment is beating up the Greasers. I'm guessing that ponyboy has no parents because they exlain abot how he relies on his brothers. I think that this book takes place in the 1970's. I bbelive that at one point in the story "someone takes it to far" as they say in the book and one of the kids from the Greasers gang end up killing someone from the Socs gang. This might lead to the police getting involved and someone going to jail. I think that after ponyboy has come to his senses he will stop fighting and will change!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Katniss- What does ReSpOnD QuIcK mean and why is typed like that ??

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Katniss Everdeen - Great response! I like your candid comments because you actually gave me your honest prediction! Thank you for that!

    @ LUNA - Your prediction was basically exactly what the story is about! how did you get your prediction to be so close to the actual story? Your prediction is remarkable!

    @ Everyone - Try to give your honest predictions. Please repost with what you actually thought the story was going to be about. I know that the majority of you had already started reading before you posted your predictions, but it would be great to hear some of your original predictions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Katniss- ReSpOnD QuIcK was odd. Were you trying to get people to read it? By the way, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Charles- Its cause i'm an OdD dUcKlIng!

    Katniss E.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Katniss - If you were trying to get people to read it, well, you gave me hard time, trying to read it at size 2.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Hillcrest Blog – When I wrote my prediction, I really hadn’t started reading my book. My prediction look like I read the book and then wrote it, but I got the info from other places. One of the places I got was from the back of the book. At the back of the book, it does say there is a guy named Ponyboy, that there are a group of people named “Greasers” and that someone takes things too far. Then you also told us a little about the book when we chose our them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Katniss - Okaayy... Should I be alarmed? :3

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Charles- "you should always be alarmed!"

    ReplyDelete
  25. @leonard- stop trying to avoid work! Just do what the Big Cheese says!...


    @Hillcrest Blog- I already said my original thoughts so I'm free right?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Although I have already finished this book, I will say that before I read this book, I thought that the Outsiders will be about boy named Ponyboy ( at first I thought, “What! Ponyboy?” But it is his real name). His family is poor and lives on “the wrong side of town”. Ponyboy’s parents are always drunk and his brothers have to take care of him. Because of this bad influence, he joins a gang called the “Greasers”. There is another group that hates them and wants to murder them. The two gangs always fight and one day, someone "goes to far". I thought this book would be really interesting and it was. I really liked this book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @HILLCREST BLOG - But I already used my rhetoric to persuade you at school...

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Hillcrest Blog-My prediction wa so close to the actual book because I always read the back of the book. Also you you sort of explained to us about the Outsiders before we made our choices, so that gave me a pretty good idea! I explained to you in class too!

    Because of my explaining and how I did use my original thoughts I'm off the hook right?

    And I'm not trying to escape from doing work!!!!!:P

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Katniss - I'm not trying to avoid work, I am trying to lengthen the amout of time I'm not doing work.

    ReplyDelete